The nationwide experiment will initially include around 100,000 volunteers.
Take a break from the bench to puzzle and peruse.
January 1, 2018|
—Surgeon and author Atul Gawande, in his 2002 book, Complications: A Surgeon’s Notes on an Imperfect Science
—George Orwell, in his dystopian classic, 1984
© J.C DUFFY THE NEW YORKER COLLECTION/THE CARTOON BANKACROSS
1. Big moment in the life of a cell
5. Located in the region of the kidneys
8. Having no right angles
9. Masked man who took his name from a fox
10. Down under canine
11. Use for ambergris, musk, and civet
12. Experimental runner of mazes (2 wds.)
14. What diazepam treats
17. Root crop of the species Manihot esculenta
19. Guy who put the Howe in invention
22. Oxymoron maker when applied to shrimp
23. Niels Bohr: “How wonderful that we have met
with a ___. Now we have some hope
of making progress.”
24. Avian features missing in moas
25. Marsupial burrowers who avoid the 10-Across
1. Spoke in the language of Angus or Brangus?
2. Primary tool for a raptor
3. Giant in the Sierra Nevada
4. What antihistamines may make you
5. Type of long, narrow, saltwater clam
6. Nature’s opposite, in some contexts
7. Female in family Felidae
12. Sustained spasm of the masseter muscle; trismus
13. One of southern Africa’s San people
15. Pythagorean proposition
16. Fruit tree with a handy name?
18. Units posited by Democritus
20. Home country of astrophysicist Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
21. What X and Y chromosomes determine
Click here for answer key.