Among the 44 scientists--triple the usual number of new nominees--expected to be named Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) investigators, 20 are women and six are members of minority groups, say institute officials. According to an HHMI spokesman, African Americans, Native Americans, and Hispanics are among the represented ethnic minorities, but the number of women included in this minority group was unavailable at press time.

When scientists accept a nomination to become Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) investigators, they become employees of HHMI, receiving full financial support for salary, staff, and equipment in renewable appointments of three, five, or seven years.

However, HHMI investigators--who conduct their work at universities and medical centers across the United States-- still maintain their institutional appointments. Under a collaborative agreement between these institutions and HHMI, investigators must spend 75 percent of their time doing research, while the other 25 percent can be devoted to activities such...

Interested in reading more?

Become a Member of

Receive full access to digital editions of The Scientist, as well as TS Digest, feature stories, more than 35 years of archives, and much more!
Already a member?