BY EMILY COX AND HENRY RATHVON
1. Volcanic glass full of cavities
4. Otological passages
8. Pisan who championed heliocentrism
10. Grassy South American plain
11. Unit of weight; snow leopard
12. Brand-new brant, perhaps
13. Site of the medulla oblongata (2 words)
17. Type of baleen whale like the humpback or minke
19. Word after Canis or Ursa
21. Target of a chemical “seeding”
22. Like the dodo, the moa, and Homo floresiensis
23. White of the eye
24. Straight-line configuration of three celestial bodies
1. Dove’s city cousin
2. Fruit in the genus Cucumis
3. Volcanologist’s depression?
5. Cartology project
6. Reappearance of a lost trait
7. Pore thing?
9. Cellular subunit such as a mitochondrion
13. Rodent hunter on a farm (2 words)
14. Fodder grass that’s also a man’s name
15. Evidence of a dinosaur’s passing
16. Made of small air bubbles, as...
18. Calf’s feeding station
20. Female donkey
Interested in reading more?
The Scientist ARCHIVES
Become a Member of
Receive full access to more than 35 years of archives, as well as TS Digest, digital editions of The Scientist, feature stories, and much more!