| || |
AT A GLANCE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR BIOCHEMISTRY AND MOLECULAR BIOLOGY
* Charles Hancock, executive officer * Martin Gellert, president
Nearly 3,000 members of ASBMB will attend the society's annual meeting May 21-25 at the Washington Convention Center in Washington, D.C. Presentations include almost 100 talks and more than 1,400 posters, as well as an exhibition.
"The Washington Connection," a series of public affairs sessions featuring: * "Science and Early Education," Bruce Alberts, president of the National Academy of Sciences, chairman (Sunday, 6:00 P.M.)
* "Science and Technology Transfer," Daniel Vapnek, senior vice president for research, Amgen Inc., Thousand Oaks, Calif., chairman (Monday, 6:00 P.M.)
* "Science and Public Policy," Howard Schachman, professor, emeritus, of molecular biology, University of California, Berkeley, chairman (Tuesday, 6:00 P.M.). Speakers will include Harold Varmus, director of the National Institutes of Health, and Neal Lane, director of the National Science Foundation.
AT A GLANCE
AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR MICROBIOLOGY
* Michael Goldberg, executive director * Gail Cassell, president
More than 8,000 attendees are expected to convene for the 94th ASM meeting, slated for May 23-27 at the Las Vegas Convention Center. Over 2,500 scientific papers and special sessions, as well as more than 25 workshops, will be offered.
Meeting Highlights Roundtable sessions held throughout the meeting:
* The Art of Seeking Employment and the Science of Finding It
* Managing Your Graduate Education: Preparation, Direction, and Resources
* Preservation and Biodi-versity
* The Postdoctoral Fellow Dilemma: Nowhere To Go?
WE WELCOME YOUR OPINION. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO COMMENT ON THIS STORY, PLEASE WRITE TO US AT EITHER ONE OF THE FOLLOWING ADDRESSES:
email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org The Scientist, 3600 Market Street, Suite 450, Philadelphia, PA 19104 U.S.A.
(The Scientist, Vol:8, #8, April 18, 1994 (Copyright, The Scientist, Inc.)