The external advisory panel that reviewed international efforts of the National Institutes of Health made 10 recommendations "to enhance and strengthen" these activities. They are as follows:
- "The panel strongly endorses an international role for all NIH components, consistent with the mission of each component, and a strengthening of international activities at the NIH."
- "To meet the challenges in international health, the panel advocates retention of the FIC [Fogarty International Center] as a free-standing organization within the NIH."
- "The panel recommends that the FIC have three principal functions:
- to promote and facilitate the international activities carried out by the NIH;
- to support international research and conduct research training programs that complement and expand the international mission of the NIH; and
- to provide leadership on the identification of emerging global health concerns and possible NIH responses."
- "The panel recommends that leadership for the direction and implementation of NIH's international activities would...
Interested in reading more?
Become a Member of
Receive full access to digital editions of The Scientist, as well as TS Digest, feature stories, more than 35 years of archives, and much more!