Below is a list of notable grants recently awarded in the sciences--federal grants as well as awards from private foundations. The individual cited is the project's principal investigator.
For training of graduate students in biochemistry and molecular biology. $50,000 from Amgen Inc., Thousand Oaks, Calif., to University of California, Santa Barbara; L. Wilson.
For grants related to research in the Great Lakes, especially projects involving toxic substances and the effect of toxins on the health of humans and wildlife. Moneys from the Great Lakes Protection Fund:
* $45,000 toward emergency plan for oil spills; Michigan State University (MSU), East Lansing.
* $42,000 for study of air toxins; Michigan Department of Natural Resources, Lansing.
* $50,000 for studies of per-person fish consumption; University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.
* $45,000 for study of Zebra Mussels and PCBs; Oakland University, Rochester, Mich.
* $57,000 toward development of methods to measure toxic...