erfusion is a vascular technique used to prepare tissues for immunohistochemistry and in situ hybridization analysis in anesthetized animals. This terminal procedure inserts a hypodermic needle into the left ventricle or aorta to inject fixative solutions throughout the circulatory system and targets organs within seconds. The process of perfusion can be relatively easy to explain, yet the subtleties involved in executing this technique make it a challenge in practice. The following discussion outlines essential considerations for efficient whole-body animal perfusion along with perfusion-based applications.
1. H.B. Waynforth and P.A. Flecknell, "Experimental and Surgical Technique in the Rat," Academic Press (2nd Ed), 1992.
2. G.J. Gage, et al., "Whole Animal Perfusion Fixation for Rodents," J Vis Exp (65): 3564, 2012.
3. X. Zhang et. al., "Near-infrared molecular probes for in vivo imaging," Curr Protoc Cytom 12:27, 2012.
4. B.M.W. Tsui and D.L. Kraitchman, "Recent Advances in Small-Animal Cardiovascular Imaging," J Nucl Med 50(5) 667-70, 2009.
5. P.R. dos Santos et al., "Modified In Vivo Lung Perfusion Allows For Prolonged Perfusion Without Acute Lung Injury," J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 147(2): 781-82, 2014.
6. T.Q. Duong and M. Fisher, "Applications of Diffusion/Perfusion Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Experiemtnal and Clinical Aspects of Stroke," Curr Atheroscler Rep 6(4): 267-73, 2004.
7. W.K. de Roos et al., "Isolated limb perfusion for local gene delivery: efficient and targeted adenovirus-mediated gene transfer into soft tissue sarcomas," Ann Surg 232(6): 814-21, 2000.
8. T. Stylianopoulos and R.K. Jain, "Combining Two Strategies to Improve Perfusion and Drug Delivery in Solid Tumors," PNAS 12; 100(46): 18632-37, 2013.
Meet the Sponsor:
This article is brought to you by Chemyx, Inc. Syringe Pumps by Chemyx are used in top-level biomedical, pharmaceutical, chemical, and petrochemical research, offering highly precise, consistent, and reproducible fluidic delivery. Chemyx pump devices orchestrate the performance of different technologies that make modern research into novel materials, drugs, and energy resources possible. www.chemyx.com