In recognition of the longstanding need in the biomedical research.

Used Equipment

When an institution is awarded a government research grant or contract to perform work for which equipment must be obtained, it is a good idea to inquire whether the necessary pieces may be available through the Excess Property program of the particular agency for which the work is being done.

Federal agencies that award research grants and contracts to profit-making organizations usually retain title to any scientific equipment purchased with agency funds. When the work is completed, the property reverts to the granting agency, which may pass it along to another contractor or grantee.

When the agency has-no need for the equipment, it is reported to the General Services Administration (GSA) as excess property. At regular intervals, GSA publishes a list, distributed to all federal agencies, of excess-property items. Any federal agency may request transfer to it of...

Interested in reading more?

Become a Member of

Receive full access to digital editions of The Scientist, as well as TS Digest, feature stories, more than 35 years of archives, and much more!
Already a member?